Herby barley bowl with shiitake mushrooms, bacon, caramelized onions, kale, white beans, fresh herbs, topped with parmesan.
- 1.5 cups uncooked hulled barley
- 4.5 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 slices of bacon
- 16 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch kale
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1–15 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained
- 5 ounces shredded parmesan
- salt & pepper
- Rinse barley. Add barley, beef broth, thyme, rosemary, and red pepper flakes to a pot. Bring to a boil on high heat, then lower to a simmer and cover for 40 minutes.
- In a sauté pan, cook the bacon. Meanwhile, cut onion in half length-wise, then slice. Roughly slice mushrooms.
- When bacon is finished, move slices to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon grease in the pan, discard the rest.
- With the pan on medium-low heat, add the sliced onions and mushrooms. Salt and pepper them. Sauté for about 20 minutes, turning the heat down if they are browning up too much.
- At the end of the 20 minutes or until onions & mushrooms are caramelized to your liking, add minced garlic and red wine vinegar, stir for about a minute, then turn off heat.
- Chop up the bacon, strip, wash, & chop kale, and drain that can o’ beans!
- Mix everything together, removing herb sprigs from barley and adding the juice of 1/2 lemon, most of the parmesan, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra parmesan on top!
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products that could help you make this recipe!
- If using pearled barley, check doneness after 20 minutes instead of 40.
- Want this to be vegetarian? Easy. Get rid of the bacon. Vegan?? Use veggie broth, no bacon, no parm. It will still be super yummy.
- This recipe is so easy to modify to your preferences. I have made it with all kinds of different veggie subs like broccoli or cauliflower, and different meats too like sausage or ground beef. You really can’t go wrong!
Keywords: barley, mushrooms, onions, kale, bacon, parmesan