This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on them and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
You want greens?! I give you greens!! On my Instagram story, I had asked what kind of recipes you’d like to see next and I got lots of responses like: healthy, veggies, salad, greens. I get it! It’s the dead of winter, we’re all feeling a little plush and nobody wants to go outside and get exercise. At least, that’s how I feel. We can make up for it with this healthy (and delicious) broccoli kale salad!
This salad features a base of nice green kale & broccoli with a TOUCH of roasted parmesan potatoes to add some softness to the crispy crunchy raw veg. Jalapeño adds a really yummy and unexpected kick, which you can totally tone down by removing the ribs and seeds. Then we add capers for a briny burst and a super flavorful mustardy dressing. If you’re freaked out when you see anchovies in the dressing ingredients, I get it. I know anchovies have a bad rap but they are actually good and packed with healthy fats! But if you’re anti-anchovy, you can use kalamata olives and it will be just as good. I love love LOVE my mini food processor to make stuff like dressings so that’s what I use, but you could also use a blender or just mince everything and shake it up in a mason jar.
Let’s talk about broccoli for a sec. The trick in this recipe is to chop the broccoli finely so you aren’t chewing for hours on a huge head of raw broccoli. Also—the stalk!! Often people just toss the stalk. The inside of the stalk is actually pretty tender! So in this recipe we peel the tougher outside layers and discard an inch off the bottom and then thinly slice the stalk. No food goes to waste here. I like to use my mandoline to thinly slice the stalk (and the jalapeño) but you have to be VERY EXTREMELY CAREFUL with a mandoline!!!! You cannot get overconfident with it or suddenly you’ll have sliced a good hunk off of your finger. This has happened to two separate people in my presence. So. Use a mandoline WITH CAUTION!!
I hope my broccoli kale salad fulfills your health goals AND your happy taste bud goals! Let me know what you think!Print
Roasted parm potatoes add a softness to crispy crunchy kale, broccoli & jalapeño. Add capers and punchy mustard dressing and you’ve got yourself a delicious & healthy salad!
- 1 lb fingerling or little potatoes
- high heat oil (like avocado) or good quality cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 bunch kale (I prefer flat-leaf if it’s available)
- 2 heads broccoli, florets & stalks
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 3 tablespoons capers
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 scallions (white part and about 2 inches of green)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 4 anchovy fillets or 2 tablespoons kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard or dijon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut potatoes into small pieces—about dime-size and ½ inch thick. Toss with oil/cooking spray, garlic powder, parmesan, and several big pinches of salt. Spread out evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prep your salad.
- Wash kale, strip from stems, and slice into ½ inch thick ribbons.
- Cut broccoli florets from stalks and chop finely. Cut an inch off the bottom of the stalk and discard. Use a peeler to peel a few layers off of the stalk & discard, then thinly slice stalk. I like to use my mandoline. (VERY CAREFULLY!!)
- Thinly slice jalapeño, removing ribs & seeds if you don’t like spice.
- Measure out capers.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl or tupperware.
- Make the dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a mini food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively, mince all ingredients and shake them up in a mason jar.
- Combine roasted potatoes, salad ingredients, and dressing. Enjoy!
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products that could help you make this recipe!
Keywords: broccoli, kale, potatos, jalapeños, mustard, parmesan, vegetarian