Smoky chipotle, charred tomatoes, and yummy garlic give flavor to these black bean quinoa burgers. Top with cheese, avocado, and a fried egg for extra love!
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¾ cup water
- 15 oz can black beans, well drained
- 4 chipotles in adobo, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- whole wheat burger buns
- fried egg
- Sauté onion in pot for 8–10 minutes or until it begins to brown, then add garlic and paprika and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add quinoa, fire-roasted tomatoes, ¾ cup water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash beans in a large bowl until at least half are mashed, then add chipotles, cilantro, egg, and bread crumbs. Mix until combined.
- When quinoa is ready, add it to the mixture and combine. (If quinoa has extra liquid remaining, cook for 5 minutes longer with the lid off before adding to bean mixture.)
- Form ½ cup burgers, then sear for 3 minutes on each side on medium heat.
- Serve topped with a slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, and a fried egg, all sandwiched between toasted whole wheat buns. Or just eat ’em plain. Up to you!
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products that could help you make this recipe!
Keywords: black beans, quinoa, veggie burgers, vegetarian, chipotle