This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on them and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
Have you ever had fried chicken & waffles? When I first heard of it, I was totally grossed out. I thought it sounded weird and bad. This was when I was working at the Uptown Cafeteria. They had it on the menu and I thought, no way will I ever get that. But then after a while of hearing people rave about it, I finally gave it a try. WOWOWWOWOWOWWW omg so good. SOOoooOooOoo good.
If you’ve been reading my blog you probably know that I love a good salty-sweet combo and chicken & waffles is right up that alley. Salty delicious fried chicken with gravy over carby sweet waffles with maple syrup…. YES. It is an unlikely duo but it WORKS! You’ve got to give it a try if you never have. A few weekends ago I was snacking on my mom’s Chex mix, brainstorming new recipes with my sister and somehow we thought up Chicken & Waffle Chex mix.
And what a goooood idea that was. It took several tries to achieve somewhat of a chicken-y flavor but I think I’ve gotten it as close as I can! For this recipe, we season the Chex mix with a little chicken bouillon, nutritional yeast, and chicken-y herbs. And what about the waffle part?? I perused the cereal aisle to see what I could find and I spotted Eggo Maple Flavored Homestyle Waffle Cereal. BINGO! This cereal is PERFECT for this recipe! It seriously tastes just like a syrup-covered waffle.
Personally, my least favorite part of Chex mix are the pretzels and peanuts. I wouldn’t recommend peanuts for this recipe cause it might take away from the Chicken & Waffle flavors, but you could add pretzels if you want. I chose wheat Chex & corn Chex for the crunchiest texture, buttery mini Club crackers, original Goldfish, and white cheddar Cheez-Its. But this recipe is pretty modifiable. You can use whatever plain cereal or crackers that you want. Just be mindful of the flavors they bring to the table. I considered adding Chicken in a Biscuit crackers because obviously they taste like chicken, but I think they’re too big. If you want to try them, go ahead!
Even if you think the idea of chicken & waffles sounds weird but you like salty-sweet, you should give this Chicken & Waffle Chex Mix a try. I am almost certain that you will like it! Let me know what you think in the comments. 🙂Print
Chicken & Waffle Chex Mix
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 5 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: Snacks
Herby, savory, chicken-seasoned Chex and crackers mixed with maple waffle cereal—so addicting!
- 1 ½ cups wheat Chex
- 1 ½ cups corn Chex (or rice Chex)
- ½ cup Original Goldfish
- ½ cup white cheddar Cheez-Its
- ½ cup mini Club crackers
- 1 cup Eggo Homestyle Waffle Cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken Better Than Bouillon or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, & thyme
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Mix all cereal/cracker ingredients except Eggo Waffle cereal in a 9×13 pan.
- In a small bowl, melt butter & chicken bouillon in the microwave. Mix until combined as best as you can—the chicken bouillon might not mix that well but do what you can.
- In another small bowl, mix the nutritional yeast & herbs together.
- Pour melted butter and bouillon onto the cereal/crackers and toss. Then sprinkle spice mixture over and toss until all is evenly coated.
- Put pan in the oven for 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes.
- After the hour, take the pan out of the oven and add the Eggo Waffle cereal.
- Let cool & enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
- This is about a half batch of the original Chex mix recipe. It’s a good amount for just me and my huz to snack on for a couple days but if you have more snackers in your family, you might want to double the recipe.
Keywords: chex mix, chicken and waffles, savory sweet, salty sweet, snacks