If you like bananas foster, you’re going to love this banana bread. Sweet, nutty, butterscotchy deliciousness with a little salt sprinkled on top. Heaven!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Maldon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425° and grease a loaf pan.
- Brown the butter. Melt a stick of butter on medium heat in a small pot on the stove. Keep an eye on it, stirring occasionally. At first, bubbles will be big. When butter is closer to being browned, bubbles will be little and foamy. Swirl the pot so you can see if the milk solids on the bottom are looking toasted—this means you are done. Once butter is browned, turn heat to low and add ½ cup brown sugar, stirring for 2 more minutes. Let cool.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mash the 3 bananas, then mix in 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Once cooled, add the brown butter/sugar and mix until combined. It must be cooled or you will be making scrambled eggs! (See Notes)
- Combine dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda, & ½ teaspoon baking powder together.
- Mix it all together! Now, mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, adding 1 cup butterscotch chips. Mix until just combined—do not overmix.
- Bake. Pour mixture into a loaf pan and pop in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn oven down to 350° and bake 30–35 more minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool & enjoy! Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool the rest of the way. Sprinkle Maldon salt over top if you wish.
- Using frozen bananas works great for this recipe. Defrost the bananas in the microwave until they are 50–75% thawed. Then, pour the hot brown butter & sugar over them. This will thaw the bananas the rest of the way while also cooling down your butter & sugar quickly.
Keywords: bananas, sweet, banana bread, butterscotch, brown butter, breakfast