This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on them and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
Hello! Today I have HEALTH FOOD! Yummy health food. It’s a sweet potato kale salad and it’s good. I lurrrrve me some sweet potatoes… you can pretty much repurpose them for anything. But my favorite go-to flavors for sweet potatoes are Mexican-y. So this salad is sorta Mexican-y; with black beans, bell pepper, and corn all tossed in a Chipotle Cilantro Vinaigrette.
We roast sweet potatoes & black beans with garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin for taco vibes. The sweet potatoes get crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and the beans get crunchy but like, not in a gross way. Meanwhile, we make our dressing, which is what really pulls this salad together. The dressing is a chipotle cilantro dressing with honey, garlic, shallots, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. So…. maybe you caught on that it’s SORT OF like chimichurri. Haha. I’m sorry, I just can’t get enough. BUT it is NOT chimichurri because there is no parsley, and I’ve added chipotle & honey instead. Totally changes the flavor. If you’ve ever had Chipotle’s (the restaurant) salad dressing, this is similar. Kinda spicy, kinda sweet, packed with big flavor. It would give any boring ol’ salad LIFE!
Now, I created this sweet potato kale salad to be vegetarian. But meat would be great on it! Taco-seasoned ground beef, chicken, or even pork would be delish. I also considered avocado chunks and cherry tomatoes, but then I decided to keep it simple. I encourage you to think of my recipe as a starting-off point—go ahead and make it your own!Print
Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- 1 sweet potato or yam, peeled
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- a generous sprinkling of salt
- a few tablespoons of high heat oil like avocado
- 1 bunch kale, washed & stripped from stems
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn
Chipotle Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 1 chipotle in adobo
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- a few big pinches of salt
- Preheat oven to 425°. Chop sweet potato into 1-inch cubes. Toss sweet potato and black beans with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and a few tablespoons of oil. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make vinaigrette. I like to use my mini food processor for this but you could also use a blender, full-size food processor, or a knife to mince ingredients manually. Blend all vinaigrette ingredients together and make sure to taste and adjust as you like.
- To prevent all the yummies from sinking to the bottom, toss kale with dressing, then dish out and top with sweet potato, beans, bell pepper, and corn. I like to store the dressed kale & toppings separately so that I can easily make the leftover salad with the perfect amount of toppings each time!
- Because kale is hardy, this salad will keep, dressed, in the fridge for several days.
- Curly kale often comes in bigger bunches than flat-leaf kale. Personally, I prefer flat-leaf but I can’t always find it. If the kale that you get is a very big bunch, you might want to one and a half or double the dressing.
Keywords: salad, healthy, vegetarian, kale, sweet potato, mexican, chipotle
Kale salad is YUMMY, guys! Check out the other kale salads I’ve posted:
This is my nommy nom Broccoli Kale Salad with Parmesan Potatoes. It’s tossed in a punchy mustard dressing that you will totally love!
Or how about this one?? Chicken & Farro Kale Salad with Garlicky Chile Dressing—extremely delish.