Crispy on the edges, soft & custardy in the middle, this sweet & savory dutch baby is filled with apples, cheddar cheese, & bacon. Super easy and so tasty!
Adapted from Dutch Baby by Florence Fabricant on NYT Cooking.
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- several grinds of pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 apple, chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
Optional toppings: maple syrup, hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix up the dutch baby batter. You can use a blender or a bowl and a whisk for this. Add 3 eggs, ½ cup milk, ½ cup flour, 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp salt, and several grinds of pepper. Blend or whisk until combined. Add ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese and pulse a couple times if using a blender, or stir to combine in a bowl. Set batter aside.
- Cook bacon. Using an oven-safe ~10 inch cast iron pan, cook bacon on medium-low heat until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool, then chop into small pieces and gently mix into the dutch baby batter. Discard all but ~3 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Prepare dutch baby for the oven. Return the cast iron pan to the stovetop on medium-high heat for a minute or two. Add apple chunks—they should sizzle when they hit the pan. If they don’t, keep heating until they begin to sizzle. Pour the batter into the pan over the apple chunks and put it in the oven.
- Bake the dutch baby for 20 minutes, then serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If you forget to take your eggs out of the fridge to come up to room temperature, just drop them (carefully!) into a bowl of very warm water for 5 minutes or so. You can microwave your milk for 15 seconds at a time until it becomes warm. You don’t want it to be too hot or it will start to cook the eggs!
- Want to omit the bacon? No big. Put the cast iron pan into the oven as it’s preheating. When it’s at temp, put 3 tablespoons of butter into the cast iron and let it melt, then proceed with step 4. You may not need to heat it on the stovetop—test the sizzle factor with one chunk of apple.
Keywords: breakfast, pancake, fancy, cheesy, bacon, simple, easy