This herby turkey grilled cheese has layers of herby goat cheese, jam, tasty turkey, a handful of arugula, and more cheese!
Herbed Goat Cheese
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, finely chopped (chives, rosemary, thyme, basil are all great—use one, two, or all!)
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- several grinds pepper
- 4 slices sourdough or good bread
- 4 slices turkey
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- ~2 tbsp jam (I recommend fig or cherry but any kind will be tasty!)
- several slices of white cheddar (or brie, or pepper jack, or any cheese that isn’t overpowering)
- ~2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp butter
- Make the herby goat cheese. Microwave goat cheese in a small bowl for 15 seconds or so, until it is softened and easily mixable. Add 1 tbsp of mixed fresh herbs, 1 small clove of grated garlic, and several grinds of pepper and mix until combined. Taste & adjust seasonings as you wish.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Spread half of the herbed goat cheese on a slice of bread. Spread jam on top of goat cheese, then a handful of arugula. Add 2 slices of turkey, then enough slices of the cheese of your choice to cover the turkey. Top with the second slice of bread. Slather the outside of that piece with about 1/2 tbsp of mayo, or more. Repeat with the second sandwich.
- Grill that cheese! I cook one sandwich at a time but if you have room to do two, go for it. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter on medium-low heat in a frying pan. (Use 2 tbsp if grilling both together.) When hot, add the sandwich, mayo side down. Slather the exposed side with mayo while it’s on the pan. Cook each side for 2–3 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with sandy #2.
- Enjoy! Let it rest for a minute or two to let the melty cheese set before halving & serving.
Keywords: sandwich, grilled cheese, turkey sandwich, herby goat cheese, jam, melty, cheesy